Tax Strategies and Preparation: Applying a Wealth Management Perspective
A key component of financial planning is gaining tax efficiency. EP Wealth Advisors works with you using a holistic approach that incorporates your wealth management goals to help you retain as much of your earned income as possible.
Calculation of Your Adjusted Gross Income
First, we evaluate your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)—the sum of everything you’ve earned, less certain “above the line” adjustments such as:
- Retirement plan contributions such as IRAs, SIMPLE IRAs and SEP-IRAs
- Half of any self-employment tax
- Healthcare Savings Account (HSA) contributions
The AGI that results after subtracting such allowances determines your eligibility to claim many of the deductions and credits we’ll consider in the next step.
Comprehensive Analysis of Deductions
Once your AGI is established, we’ll determine whether your expenses such as mortgage interest, charitable gifts, state taxes and more are sufficient to file as itemized deductions, or whether it will be more beneficial to take the standard deduction allowed by the IRS.
Application of Tax Credits
We’ll also apply any tax credits that can affect your tax liability. Examples include credits for college expenses and the adoption of a child, as well as prior-year Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) paid, foreign taxes paid, and purchase of a qualified electric or alternative-fuel vehicle.
Tax Preparation Services We Provide
EP Wealth Advisors can assist with tax strategies and many types of tax returns in all 50 states for individuals and their associated non-public business entities. Our capabilities include individual returns.
If you are looking for the preparation of complex business returns, we can help recommend a tax partner for you.
Our Tax Preparation Process
To take advantage of our tax preparation services, you’ll begin by signing a Tax Preparation Agreement. Next comes a discovery process that provides a clear picture of your tax situation. This includes reviewing your previous two years of tax returns and ensuring we have obtained all the documents and information needed to strategically prepare your return.
Following this, our implementation process involves creating a draft return, discussing with you any remaining questions needed for its completion, and then providing the draft for your review. Upon your approval, we send you a PDF of the return and save a copy in your tax file, obtain your approval for eFiling and eFile the return with tax agencies. Finally, we notify you of eFiling acceptance.
Tax Preparation Costs
EP Wealth Advisors offers tax preparation services exclusively to clients who are receiving fee-based wealth management and have met our $500,000 investment minimum. These services are not available to hourly-only clients. Costs will vary with the complexity of your tax situation and assets under management. Your EP Wealth advisor can provide details.
An Integrated Approach to Taxes
With capabilities that span the spectrum of financial-advisory services, EP Wealth has the perspective to address your tax situation as an integral component of a holistic wealth management strategy. This ability to manage your taxes in the context of other life objectives can ultimately prove more effective than a tax plan considered in isolation. To discuss your own tax situation, we invite you to contact one of our advisors.
- EP Wealth Advisors (“EPWA”) makes no representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information presented. All expressions of opinion are subject to change without notice.
- Every firm assigns unique titles to their respective advisory staff. A Financial Advisor, Wealth Manager, Private Wealth Manager, Personal Wealth Manager, Financial Planner or other similar titles may be synonymous with no true distinction in the services, qualifications, or experience of the professional assigned to said title. To better understand if a distinction exists amongst the professionals holding different titles, please review the firm’s Form ADV and the Form ADV Part 2B of the professional you intend to work with.
- Hiring a qualified advisor and/or financial planner does not guarantee investment success, and does not ensure that a client or prospective client will experience a higher level of performance or results. No guaranty or warranty is made that any direct or implied results or projections being represented here will be met or sustained.
- Information presented is general in nature and should not be viewed as a comprehensive analysis of the topics discussed. It is intended to serve as a tool containing general information that should assist you in the development of subsequent discussions. Content does not involve the rendering of personalized investment advice nor is it intended to supplement professional individualized advice.
- The need for a financial advisor or financial planner and/or the type of services required are specific to the uniqueness of each individual’s circumstances. There is no guarantee or warrantee that the services offered by EP Wealth Advisors will satisfy your financial service requirements. Services offered by other advisors may align more to your specific needs.
- All investment strategies have the potential for profit or loss. Different types of investments and investment strategies involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that any specific investment or strategy will be suitable or profitable for a client's portfolio. The risk of loss can never be eliminated even if working with a professional.
- EP Wealth Advisors, LLC. is registered as an investment advisor with the SEC and only transacts business in states where it is properly registered, or is excluded or exempted from registration requirements. SEC registration does not constitute an endorsement of the firm by the Commission nor does it indicate that the advisor has attained a particular level of skill or ability